The largest of the three villages in the Harraseeket Historic District, South Freeport had its greatest period of development during the shipbuilding boom of the 1850s. Its affluence is reflected in its many Greek Revival style homes. This village is in the coastal area of Freeport, with fine homes overlooking Freeport Harbor on the edge of Casco Bay. The harbor hosts the Harraseeket Yacht Club and several marine related businesses.
Located twelve miles by water and fifteen miles by land from Portland, the village has a small private school, a historic church and a post office.
Visible from the harbor is a remnant of the early 20th century’s development of attractions accessible by trolleys. The 1903 Casco Castle (on the Historic Register) rises from a wooded area, privately owned, that once was the home to an amusement park. The image at right was taken from Winslow Park, several miles from the Castle.
South Freeport Village has four community buildings clustered near each other on the South Freeport Road at approximately N43° 49′ 22.66″ W70° 6′ 46.52″.
The Queen Anne style South Freeport Baptist Church is on the Historic Register. Winslow Park, at the end of Staples Point Road, offers a public beach, campsites for recreational vehicles and tents, gentle hiking trails, and fine views of Casco Bay.
Harraseeket Yacht Club is south of the town landing, boat yard and marina, on the Harraseeket River with access to Casco Bay.
Freeport Historical Society. “The Story of Casco Castle. ” http://freeporthistoricalsociety.org/the-story-of-casco-castle (accessed August 1, 2014)