|Maine House||District 137|
|Maine Senate||District 5|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 35.1|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 35.1|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
Settled in 1827, Edinburg is bounded on the east by the Penobscot River and lies opposite the entrance of the Passadumkeag River.
Rivers, attractions of rural life, and the proximity of the University of Maine and the City of Bangor to the south, may be the forces contributing to recent development in the community.
In 2005 an observer noted several new lots being cleared along the river, possibly accounting for the reversal of the two-decade (1980-2000) trend of Edinburg’s dwindling population.
South of Howland, the town is served by Maine Route 116, which hugs the west bank of the Penobscot. Interstate 95 travels through but has no exits in the town.
ASBURY F. HAYNES
Farnham, Charles M. Diaries, 1863-1864. (Cataloger Note: Diaries maintained by Charles M. Farnham in 1863 and 1864. In them he describes his experiences in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C. while serving in the 7th Maine Infantry Regiment. Also included is a diary, 1912, of Emma Farnham, Charles Farnham’s wife, in which she describes the weather, her daily activities, etc. Charles M. Farnham was born around 1845. He lived in Edinburg. After the Civil War he was a selectman and town clerk in Edinburg and made his living as a farmer. [University of Maine, Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections]