|Maine House||District 11|
|Maine Senate||District 29|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 55.1|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 50.7|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[TOPS-field] is a town in Washington County. It was settled first in 1832 by Nehemiah Kneeland from Topsfield, Massachusetts an incorporated on February 24, 1838 from the township T8 R2 NBPP. Just over 100 years later, it surrendered its status as a town, a fate of several Maine towns during the Great Depression.
In the 1880′s farming was the major occupation, growing mostly wheat and potatoes. One sawmill was in operation.
After a brief experiment as a plantation (1940-1941), the community was reincorporated as a town on September 12, 1959.
Located in a small park near the fire department, the veterans memorial and the University of Maine at Presque Isle’s solar system model marker are on display.
Logging and hunting are major activities in this rural community. Topsfield has substantial resources in the long shoreline of Baskahegan Lake and the two smaller lakes: East Musquash and Farrow. Snigdom Road near Farrow Lake connects with several unimproved roads to the lake shore.
The village is at the intersection of north-south U.S. Route 1 and east-west Maine Route 6.
Historical Sketch of Nehemiah Kneeland: Pioneer of Topsfield, Maine. Maine. 1869? [University of Maine, Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections]
Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. 1886. p. 539-540.