Entries listed under "public lots"
a plantation in Aroostook County, settled in 1824, was formally organized in 1870. Just south of Van Buren on U.S. Route 1, it is a community of open spaces and few people. Agriculture is still a significant staple of its economy. Continue reading
formed in 1895, a small but fast growing community, it contains two public lots and a four-season trail system. It is adjacent to Rangeley, and near the Rangeley Lakes and the Saddleback ski areas. Continue reading
While growing slowly, this still small community retains its rural, farming and home town identity. Lagrange was named for the estate of the Marquis de La Fayette, the French friend of the American Revolution. See photos. A section of Maine Public Reserved Land is in the southwest corner of the township, managed for recreation and sustainable forestry. Continue reading
The small community’s more than doubling in population from 2000 to 2010 may be due to the selling of large tracts of woodland to private individuals for the creation of “wilderness” estates around Schoodic Lake. Lake View Plantation’s town office is located in nearby Brownville. Home to a section of public reserved land. Continue reading
Osborn hosts two lots of Maine’s Public Reserved Lands with many trees well over 100 years old. The Osborn lots have a long history of timber management. Spectacle Pond, through which the Union River flows, is a major asset of the town. With few major roads, it is served in its northwest corner by Maine Route 179. Continue reading
This sparsely populated plantation in Penobscot county is primarily marshlands and streams, with the exception of Tucker Ridge and Pickle Ridge where Tucker Ridge Road and Pickle Ridge Road serve the plantation’s residents. It contains a portion of the Mattawamkeag River System Wildlife Management Area and the “Webster Lot” of Maine’s Public Reserved Land. Continue reading
Located about 25 miles south of Fort Kent on Maine Route 11, the area is an attraction for fishermen and hunters. St. Froid Lake (see photo) dominates the plantation by running virtually its whole length from north to south, a watery barrier separating the eastern from the western land portions. Quimby village is on the eastern shore of the lake; Winterville village is on Route 11, about two miles east of the lake. Continue reading