Entries listed under "Aroostook County"
Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge. The 5,000 acre preserve, created in 1998, was once a part of the former Loring Air Force Base in Limestone. Deboullie Public Reserved Land, T 15 R9 WELS. Its low rugged mountains and scenic remote trout … Continue reading
a plantation in Aroostook County, organized in 1859 for election purposes and formally organized for general purposes in 1895. Named for Hannibal Hamlin, President Lincoln’s first Vice President, this northeastern community is bounded on the north by the St. John River. See map. The population is concentrated along the river on the Hamlin Road (U.S. Route 1A). Hamlin Plantation is subject to the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission, which has identified critical natural areas in the plantation. Continue reading
May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1724 Two boats from the garrison at the … Continue reading
Most text from Jennifer Vashon, Wildlife Biologist. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Images, video and supplemental text by Jim Henderson. Did You Know… ♦ A lactating cow has the highest nutritional requirements of any moose and eats over … Continue reading
Home to the village of Shin Pond, which lies between Lower and Upper Shin Pond, the town is served by Maine Route 159, the Shin Pond Road. See photos. Mount Chase, the mountain, rises 2,440 feet in the eastern edge of the town and dominates the horizon there. Continue reading
I saw mountains of potatoes–oceans–more potatoes than you would think the world’s population could consume in a hundred years. –Steinbeck These girls, probably in the 1950’s, had been hand-picking potatoes, then carrying their baskets to the barrels. The small card, … Continue reading
Daniel Webster, Secretary of State, representing the United States, negotiated a new boundary between Maine and what is now Canada with Alexander Baring, Lord Ashburton, “Her Britannic Majesty’s Minister Plenipotentiary on Special Mission.” The treaty, signed August 9, 1842, became … Continue reading