|Maine House||District 145|
|Maine Senate||District 2|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 19.5|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 18.5|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[LIM-ehr-ihk] is a town in Aroostook County, settled in 1775 and incorporated on March 18, 1837 from New Limerick Plantation.
It received it name from the fact that many of its settlers had previously lived in Limerick in York County at the southern end of the state.
In the 1880’s the town had a large tannery, two saw mills, and a starch factory. It has frontage on Drew and Nickerson lakes, along with a half-dozen small ponds.
The main village of the town, just west of Houlton, nearly surrounds Nickerson Lake, which it shares with Linneus, in the southeast portion of this half-township. The Meduxnekeag Lake is the source of the river by the same name, which flows eastward through the town to Houlton.
New Limerick is the birthplace of Dora Pinkham, the first woman to served in the Maine Legislature.
U.S. Route 2, known as the “County Road,” runs west from Houlton through New Limerick on its way to Smyrna Mills.
The town is home to the Sharkadee Deer Farm, where people pay to “hunt” the deer within the confines of the property.
Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. 1881. p. 387-388.