|Maine House||District 118|
|Maine Senate||District 3|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 40.7|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 40.5|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[KORN-vil] is a town in Somerset County, incorporated on February 24, 1798 from the unorganized township of T2 R1, N.P.C., E.K.R.
After acquiring the “Mile and a half Strip” in 1807, it conceded land in several transactions in the 1830’s to Milburn to reach its current boundaries.
Originally called Bernadstown No. 3 after Moses Bernard who purchased it from Massachusetts, it gained its permanent name from the richness and productivity of its soil, especially for Indian corn.
Early white settlers arrived in the mid-1790’s, attracted by the ability to purchase large tracts of land in the Maine wilderness.
By the dawn of the nineteenth century, several mills and a tannery were established on the Wesserunset River. Now know as Wesserunsett Stream, it runs along the eastern part of the town, emptying into the Kennebec River at Skowhegan.
A small building is the headquarters of the quaintly named “North Cornville Ladies Aid, inc. 1911.”
Just north of Skowhegan on Maine Route 150, Cornville is a growing community in a rural setting.
It is home to Nelson’s Candies, on the West Ridge Road, and home town of former long-time State Senator, and candidate for governor in the 2010 Republican primary, Peter Mills.
Poet Holman Day had some fun with an imaginary local resident in “The Ballard of Doc Pluff.”
Doctor Pluff, who lived in Cornville, he was hearty, brisk and bluff,
Didn’t have much extry knowledge, but in some ways knowed enough;
Knowed enough to doctor hosses, cows an’ dogs an’ hens an’ sheep,
When he come to doctor humans, wal, he wasn’t quite so deep.
Still, he kind o’ got ambitious, an’ he went an’ stubbed his toe,
When he tried to tackle subjects that he really didn’t know.
(1st of 10 stanzas, Pine Tree Ballads, p. 181)
Amazeen, Laurence. Some Cornville History. (between 1990 and 1998) [Maine State Library]
Weston, Samuel. Samuel Weston’s Field Book, Jan. 1791: of the survey of three townships on the east side of Kennebec River, viz, no. 1, 1st range, now Madison, no. 2, 1st range, now Cornville, no. 1, 2nd range, now Solon : to which is added the survey of the settlers lots. (transcribed by John E. Leland) Madison, Me. J.E. Leland. 2002.