|Maine House||District 133|
|Maine Senate||District 8|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 20.0|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 7.8|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[kas-TEEN] a town in Hancock County, was once known as Majabigwaduce or Bagaduce for short, now the name of the river on its eastern shore.
In 1629 the (British) King’s Council for New England authorized Edward Ashley to establish a trading post at what was then Pentagoet, the eventual administrative capital of French Acadia.
By 1631 the post was destroyed by the French for the first time, then again in 1634. The post lasted until 1674 when a Dutch privateer destroyed it. The Massachusetts Bay colonists attempted to assert their claim, to no avail.
Incorporated in 1796 from portions of the town of Penobscot, it later set off land to Brooksville (in 1817) and then acquired some of the earlier land it had ceded to Penobscot.
The town is named for Jean-Vincent d’Abbadie, Baron de St. Castin who held a French land grant in the area. He made friends with the Indians, attempted to accommodate the English, then fought them and the Dutch to protect the area. The British finally took the town in 1779, but now the colonists wanted them out. That year Castine saw the defeat of American forces attempt, known as the Penobscot Expedition, to liberate the town. It returned to American control in 1783 at the end of the Revolutionary War.
George Varney waxed eloquent in his description of Castine in his 1886 Gazetteer of Maine:
The streets of the village are set with shade trees of all ages, and the buildings are in good repair. Many of the dwellings are large and old, and there is an air of elegance and repose. Before it spreads out the grand harbor, dotted with islands.
The second reported meteorite ever to hit Maine fell at about 4:15 AM on Saturday May 20, 1848 near the village in Castine.
Two forts, Madison and George, are among the many historic sites throughout the community. Castine’s location on a neck of land at the mouth of the Penobscot River gave it substantial military importance, making the British occupation of the town during the War of 1812 very understandable.
Castine was the first shire town of Hancock County until 1838 when the county seat was moved inland to the City of Ellsworth.
Hancock County Register of Probate, Castine selectman, and U.S. Representative Hezekiah Williams lived and practiced law here in the 19th century. In 1880, Simmy Murch, was born in Castine; in 1904 and 1905 he played baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals. After a less than stellar career there, he played for the Brooklyn Superbas in 1910. In the three years his batting average was .141; as an infielder he made no outs.
The Maine Maritime Academy, established in 1941, and its training ship State of Maine, are located in the town.
Broom, Dick. “Reclaiming Castine.” UMaine Today. March-April, 2006. http://www.magarchive.umaine.edu/issues/v6i2/castine.html (accessed October 16, 2011)
Castine Sesquicentennial Celebration: July 27, 1946. 1946 July 28. (Maine State Library)
Faulkner, Gretchen Fearon. Fort Pentagoet, Castine, Maine, 1635-1674: An Archaeological and Historical Perspective of the Anglo-Acadian Frontier. 1984.
Fort Pentagoet. (video) Maine Public Broadcasting: Home: The Story of Maine, Episode 302, “Rolling back the frontier” http://www.windowsonmaine.org/fullrecord.aspx?objectId=9-65 (accessed June 3, 2008)
Hathaway, Katharine Butler, 1890-1942. The Little Locksmith: A Memoir. Foreword by Alix Kates Shulman; afterword by Nancy Mairs. New York. Feminist Press at the City University of New York. 2000.
Honey, Mark E. Abigail & Sarah Hawes of Castine, Navigators & Educators. Lois Moore Cyr, editor. Honey. c1996.
*Maine. Historic Preservation Commission. Augusta, Me. Text and photos from National Register of Historic Places: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/text/xxxxxxxx.PDF and http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/photos/xxxxxxxx.PDF
Castine Historic District: 73000240.PDF
Schooner Bowdoin: 80000411.PDF
Sylvester, Herbert Milton. The Land of St. Castin. Boston. W. B. Clarke Co. 1909.
Wheeler, George Augustus. Castine, Past and Present: The Ancient Settlement of Pentagöet and the Modern Town. Boston. Rockwell and Churchill Press. 1896.
Wheeler, George Augustus. Fort Pentagoet, and the French Occupation of Castine. Portland, Me.? Maine Historical Society. 1892?
Williamson, Joseph, 1828-1902. Castine; and the Old Coins Found There. Portland, Me. Brown Thurston., 1859.
National Register of Historic Places – Listings
BOWDOIN (schooner), National Historic Landmark
[Maine Maritime Academy] The 1921 88-foot schooner Bowdoin [see brief 1933 film at MacMillan article] was built to the specifications of Admiral Donald Baxter MacMillan, an important Arctic explorer among other pursuits. This sailing vessel was designed to operate with a small crew and with an auxiliary engine. MacMillan made 29 voyages to the Arctic between 1908 and 1954, 26 of which in Bowdoin. This two-masted schooner, built to his specifications (strong and compact) for Arctic exploration, is one of a handful of such historic vessels.
The Bowdoin logged more than 200,000 miles, while the crew and scientists gathered information on the Arctic environment. During World War II, Bowdoin and MacMillan were commissioned by the U.S. Navy to serve on the important Greenland Patrol, assisting in the defense of that island. After years of neglect, the vessel was restored at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath in the early 1980s. After a brief stint with Outward Bound, it was given to the Maine Maritime Academy.*
Castine Historic District
[Roughly bounded by Bagaduce and Penobscot Rivers, and Wadsworth Cove Road] The 1,800 acres of land and water in the Historic District includes a cross section of late 18th and 19th century architecture in Castine: early capes, several magnificent Federal Period houses, an abundance of Greek Revival architecture, several elaborate summer houses of the late 19th century, Maine Maritime Academy’s Leavitt Hall, and the historic Schooner Bowdoin.
Intermingled with these are many historic sites: a British Fort from the Revolution, the site of a French fortification of an earlier period, the site of the greatest naval defeat in American History and even the very visible remains of a canal dug by British troops in 1779, and the Dice (Dyce) Head lighthouse.*
Cate House, Corner of Court and Pleasant Streets
Fort George, Wadsworth Street off Battle Avenue
Off-the-Neck Historic District, Maine Route 166
Pentagoet Archeological District, Address Restricted
Perkins, John, House, Perkins Street