Entries listed under "service stations"
one of the oldest villages in western Maine, incorporated in 1796 from Sudbury Canada Plantation. Its name signifies the “House of God,” possibly inspired by its location among the Oxford Hills. The Middle Intervale Meetinghouse was built in 1816. West Bethel village is along a canoe trip route on the Androscoggin River. See photos. Continue reading
Uncharacteristic for most Maine towns, Exeter has neither a lake, pond or mountain of note. Maine combined Routes 11 and 43 zigs and zags in a generally east-west direction through the town. The economy is a mix between agriculture and work in the Bangor area service industries. Continue reading
Now a growing suburb of Bangor, it lies just west of the city on U.S. Route 2 and Maine Route 100. See photo. Hermon hosts the Northern Maine Junction rail yard in its southeast corner along U.S. Route 2. The property has been used for maintenance, refueling, and railcar classification since 1905. Continue reading
is home to Unity College, a small liberal arts institution in a rural setting where the Common Ground Country Fair is held each fall. See photos. The main village is at the south end of the 2,528-acre Unity Pond, also known as Lake Winnecook. Continue reading
Year Population 1970 70 1980 130 1990 119 2000 105 2010 101 Geographic Data N. Latitude 45:23:00 W. Latitude 67:38:00 Maine House District 141 Maine Senate District 6 Congress District 2 Area sq. mi. (total) 43.2 Area sq. mi. (land) … Continue reading
Windsor’s village center clusters around the town office, the fire station, the Post Office, and Hussey’s General Store at the intersection of Maine Routes 32 and 105. The Windsor Fair attracts crowds each fall to this once agricultural, but increasingly residential, community east of Augusta. Continue reading