Entries listed under "Route 222"
When Maine separated from Massachusetts in 1820, the vast Maine timberlands were put on the block for speculation, which drew investors and fortune hunters. By the 1830s, Bangor was building 500 structures annually. Dow Air Force Base provided an economic and civic boost during the Cold War until closing in 1968. The creation of Bangor International Airport turned the potential liability into an asset. Continue reading
in Penobscot County, incorporated 1818. See photos. From the mid-1930s to 1996 the Eastland Woolen Mill provided employment. It discharged contaminated water into the East Branch of the Sebasticook River and became a Superfund Site. Corinna is the birthplace of Gilbert Patten (1866) who wrote the Frank Merriwell series of boys books under the name Bert L. Standish. Continue reading
In the 1990-2000 decade Levant, just 8 miles from Bangor, was one of the fastest growing towns in the area with population growing by more than 25%. The next decade it grew by over 31%. The Minerva Grange was formed in1902 when 54 people voted to do so. It is still used for community meetings. Continue reading
Newport features the six-mile long Sebasticook Lake, providing recreational opportunities for residents and summer visitors. Drought conditions in 2002 lowered the water level substantially. See photos. Prior to the opening of what became the Maine Central Railroad in 1855, Newport was a center of stage coach transportation. Newport is still a heavily traveled crossroads, now of Interstate 95, U.S. Route 2, and Maine Routes 7, 11, and 100. The area east of Sebasticook Lake is known as East Newport. Continue reading
With many fine houses and a historic downtown, Presque Isle has its commercial strip like so many other communities. See photos. The University of Maine campus here provides educational and cultural opportunities for area residents. Aroostook State Park is located at the southern end of the town, on Echo Lake. The French presque isle means “almost an island,” based on the twists and turns of the Aroostook River and the Presque Isle Stream. Continue reading
Just 20 miles northwest of Bangor and adjacent to Newport, the town is a growing, but still rural community. Settled in 1800, it was soon organized as a plantation for election purposes. The post office opened in 1829. In the 1880’s Stetson was home to three sawmills, a grist mill, Stetson Cheese Factory, and a carriage factory. Continue reading