Entries listed under "Maine Public Reserved Lands"
[chu-SUN-cook] is an unorganized township (T5 R13 WELS) in Piscataquis County. The name means “at the place of the principal outlet,” according to McCauley. Chesuncook Lake extends south to T3 R12 WELS. Ripogenus Dam, constructed 1916-1920 “at the place of … Continue reading
a plantation in Franklin County, organized in 1893, is just south of Flagstaff Lake on Maine Route 16. See photo. The South Branch of the Dead River flows through on its way to the lake. Two sections of Maine’s Public Reserved Lands, in the Flagstaff Region, lie within the plantation. Continue reading
Named for the Malecite Indian word for “caribou,” it is located on the New Hampshire border, with substantial frontage on Umbagog Lake and on Upper and Lower Lower Richardson Lakes. A section of Maine Public Reserved Land sits just north of the Lake Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge on that lake’s Sunday Cove. The plantation is accessible from Maine Route 16 in Lincoln Plantation. Continue reading
The northern portion is dominated by a section of Maine Public Reserved Land, some of which encompasses the Salmon Brook Lake. A 1,055-acre Ecological Reserve surrounds the lake and wetlands. The 59-mile multi-use Bangor and Aroostook Trail is a located in Perham, Caribou, and other area towns. The trail, formerly a Bangor and Aroostook Railroad corridor, passes along the western side of Salmon Brook Lake Bog in Perham. Located west of Caribou on Maine Route 228. Perham is an agricultural community. Continue reading
The town is at the center of the Rangeley Lakes Region with many hotels, campsites, boat launching facilities and recreational opportunities. See photos. The region was the setting for Louise Dickenson Rich’s 1942 book We Took to the Woods. It hosts Hunter Cove nature preserve and Bald Mountain public reserved land. Continue reading
Just south of Rangeley, the plantation’s South Shore Road runs along the south shore of Rangeley Lake and east-west across the northern section of the plantation. Rangeley Lake State Park occupies part of the shore near South Cove. Access to the Bald Mountain Trail is from the park. Continue reading
The village is located on Maine Route 17 near the Mattawamkeag River and on the Wytopitlock stream. Other than Route 17, which runs through the through the western portion north to U.S. Route 2A, the Bancroft Road travels northeast from Wytopitlock to the Bancroft town line. These are the only improved roads. Two lots of Maine Public Reserved Land lie within the plantation: the 996-acre Thompson Deadwater Lot and the 539-acre Central-Wytopitlock Lot. Continue reading
The small Seboeis village is nearly at the end of the Seboeis Road, which leads north in Howland from the North Howland Road. The village is less than a mile from the shore of South Branch Lake, where there is a boat launch. Seboeis Public Reserved Land of 15,628 acres provides opportunities for boating, camping, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, and watching wildlife. Continue reading
With the St. John River as its northern boundary, the town is located nearly at the end of Maine Route 161, a dead end road that travels west from Fort Kent to serve the small communities along the River. The Plantation has several modest sized lakes, including Wallagrass Lakes (Lakes 1 and 2) in the southeast, Wheelock Lake in the northeast, and Hunnewell Lake in the west. It hosts two lots of Maine Public Reserved Lands totaling 1,167 acres. Continue reading
This township hosts the Long Falls Dam on the Dead River. That dam maintains the level of Flagstaff Lake, but required the removal of the village of Flagstaff, which was flooded as a result of its construction.. There was a … Continue reading
This sparsely populated plantation in Penobscot county is primarily marshlands and streams, with the exception of Tucker Ridge and Pickle Ridge where Tucker Ridge Road and Pickle Ridge Road serve the plantation’s residents. It contains a portion of the Mattawamkeag River System Wildlife Management Area and the “Webster Lot” of Maine’s Public Reserved Land. Continue reading
West Forks lies north of the Dead River and west of the Kennebec just above where the two rivers combine at The Forks. See photos. The heavily forested area with a small and dwindling population is bisected by U.S. Route 201 on its way north to Jackman, then to the Province of Quebec.
Three sections of Maine Public Reserved Lands totaling 1,204 acres are located on the west side of U.S. Route 201. Continue reading
Located northwest of Caribou, this small community is accessible off State Route 161 that passes through nearby New Sweden. It was part of the “Swedish Colony” established in the 1870’s. The township is bisected with the Little Madawaska River flowing from southwest to northeast. A section of Maine Public Reserved Lands is a 965-acre original public lot, mostly covered by forest, near the southwest shoreline of lower Madawaska Lake. Continue reading
Located about 25 miles south of Fort Kent on Maine Route 11, the area is an attraction for fishermen and hunters. St. Froid Lake (see photo) dominates the plantation by running virtually its whole length from north to south, a watery barrier separating the eastern from the western land portions. Quimby village is on the eastern shore of the lake; Winterville village is on Route 11, about two miles east of the lake. Continue reading