Entries listed under "corn"
is now an unorganized township in Somerset County after having been a town for over 100 years. Incorporated on January 25, 1821 from Plantation Number One, R1, BKP., WKR., it surrendered its organized status on July 6, 1935, and thus … Continue reading
This small township is surrounded by organized towns: Rumford, Bethel, Woodstock and Peru – all in Oxford County. About one mile of Route 232 is in the western corner and serves as the “Main Street” serving Milton Village. Several mountains, … Continue reading
A farming town, Starks once boasted a canning factory to which farmers would bring corn, squash, pumpkins, and other produce each fall. See photos. The “corn shop,” as it was known, closed in 1964. The now abandoned Grange Hall was the site of many community dances and socials at least through the 1950’s. The winding Sandy River, the site of several ferry crossings, constitutes the town’s eastern boundary. A small chapel is located near an old cemetery on the River Road. Continue reading
Turner (see photos and video) lies directly north of Auburn on Maine Route 4, and is served by routes 117 in the south and 219 in the north. South Turner is a smaller village near the Auburn city line. Bounded by the Androscoggin River on the east, Turner has its share of ponds, including Bear Pond and its amusement park. Continue reading
has sufficient space to support farming as well as serving as a residential area for people working in Augusta and Waterville. See video and photos. Benedict Arnold stopped here to obtain a canoe on his way to Quebec. Site of Oak Grove Seminary in 1844, then Oak Grove Coburn school in 1970, then the Maine Criminal Justice Academy in 2001. Continue reading