stood on Fort Point in Stockton Springs on the Penobscot River. In 1626 the English set up a trading post at the mouth of the Penobscot River. The French and Indians attacked with great ferocity. In ten years it was abandoned.
A crude fortification was build in 1640 and successful enough so that one hundred years later about 60,000 people lived in the area. In 1755, with Indian threats at their peak, Massachusetts Governor Shirley declared was on the Anasagunticook Indians and all others east of the Piscataqua River, except the Penobscots.
Two years later Governor Thomas Pownall took office and, since the British already controlled the Kennebec and St. Croix rivers, proposed that a fort be erected here.
Four hundred men in two vessels sailed up from Newbury on May 1, 1759 to build Fort Pownall. It was completed on July 6th at a cost of 5,000 pounds and on the following day, General Jedediah Preble took charge of a garrison of 84 soldiers. In September, British General Wolfe captured Quebec, ended hostilities, and left the new fort with no immediate mission.
In 1775 British Captain Mowatt dismantled the fort of all guns and ammunition. On July 20th of the same year, Colonel Cargill, for the Colonies, burned the buildings and filled in all the ditches to keep it out of British hands. Only the stone foundations and the earthworks remain.
Adjoining the fort is one of the many lighthouses along the coast. Established in 1836 it is known as Fort Point Light.
Source: Maine Bureau of Parks and Recreation