|Maine House||District 142|
|Maine Senate||District 5|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 42.9|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 42.9|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[WOOD-vil] is a town in Penobscot County, incorporated on February 28, 1895 from Woodville Plantation, which had been organized for election purposes as early as 1854 and as a local governing plantation in 1860. Its population in 1880 was 223, not much different from its recent totals.
Prior to 1854 it was known as Indian Township Number 2. Its final name reflects the wooded nature of its surroundings.
The town dominates the west side of the great bend in the Penobscot River just south of Medway where the East and West branches combine.
Maine Route 116 leaves the River in Chester and cuts through Woodville to Medway.
Chadbourne, Ava Harriet. Maine Place Names and The Peopling of its Towns.