|Maine House||District 151|
|Maine Senate||District 1|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 39.1|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 35.7|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[WIN-ter-vil] is a plantation in Aroostook County, settled in 1846 and organized on June 6, 1884 from township T15 R7 WELS. The organization was confirmed by the Maine legislature in 1895.
In 1903 its name was changed to Hill Plantation, then change back a few years later in 1907.
Located about 25 miles south of Fort Kent on Maine Route 11, the area is an attraction for fishermen and hunters.
THe 2,400-acre, 100-feet deep St. Froid Lake dominates the plantation by running virtually its whole length from north to south, a watery barrier separating the eastern from the western land portions.
According to a 1990 survey by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, “St. Froid Lake supports a sport fishery of statewide significance for salmon, lake trout, and brook trout. Of local significance, a popular hook-and-line smelt fishery exists both winter and summer. Smelts also provide an extremely important forage species for salmon, lake trout, and to a lesser extent, brook trout.”
According to a 2007 report by the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands (edited and condensed):
The Plantation lot is a 982-acre original public lot, mostly covered by forest, with 3,627 feet of frontage on St. Froid Lake. Its primary use has been timber management. Approximately 61% of the forested acres are hardwood, with 22% in mixedwood, and 17% in softwood.
There are 64 acres of wetlands; 28 acres of which are open wetlands and 36 forested wetlands. They support 64 acres of wading bird and waterfowl habitat. Wildlife management is pursued along the shorelines of the lake and the Birch River.
The Bureau has also made one to two acre clearcuts with in the abundant poplar stands, an ongoing wildlife project designed to enhance grouse nesting and forage habitat.
In 1986 the Bureau conveyed leases for 33 camp lots along or near the lake. It also conveyed the main access road through the parcel (Red River Road) to the Town of Winterville Plantation in 2006, but retained a right- of-way.
Quimby village is on the eastern shore of the lake; Winterville village is on Route 11, about two miles east of the lake. The Shore Road runs along most of the eastern shore from McNally village in the south to join with Route 11 in the north.
The Fish Thoroughfare River empties St. Froid Lake at its north end into nearby Eagle Lake.
Form of Government: Assessors-Annual Meeting.
Maine. Maine Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Conservation. Northern Aroostook Region Management Plan. https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/get_involved/planning_and_acquisition/management_plans/docs/plan.pdf (accessed April 13, 2014)
Maine. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. “St. Froid Lake.” Augusta, Me. 1990. https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/aroostook/st_froid_lake.pdf (accessed April 13, 2014)