|Maine House||District 119|
|Maine Senate||District 4|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 48.1|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 43.6|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[wil-ih-MAN-tik] is a town in Piscataquis County, incorporated as the town of Howard on February 22, 1881 from Howard Plantation. Two years later the name was changed to Willimantic, for the Connecticut town of that name.
The first recorded settlement in T8R8 (now Willimantic) was in 1826, following the purchase of the town from Harvard College by Aquilla Davis. At least 14 families had settled in the western part of the town by the 1850’s. The first public school was held in a one-room log house in 1856.
Later in the century a granite quarry operated on Davis Mountain and another near Onawa Station and Greenwood Pond. The Howard Slate Company began extensive operations in the northeast corner of town.
There was a sawmill operating at Wilson Stream and one at Greenwood Falls, now Tobey Falls. The falls, located in the western portion of the township, is a series of three falls with a pool below the lower falls.
The Willimantic Thread Company of Connecticut bought land here in 1879 and in 1886 established a mill to create spools. In 1912 the mill was moved to Milo.
Located on the western end of Sebec Lake, the town offers many camping and fishing opportunities. Packard Landing was the location of Packard’s Camps in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Maine Route 150 runs north from Guilford and terminates at the village of Sebec Lake, not to be confused with the town of Sebec at the far eastern end of the Lake.
Old Sebec Lake. Dover, N.H. Arcadia. c1997. [Maine State Library]
Packard, Marlborough. A History of Packard’s Camps, 1894-1916. Published Privately. 1974. [University of Maine, Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections; Maine State Library]
Willimantic Comprehensive Plan Committee. Willimantic Comprehensive Plan. April 25, 2006. Submission to the State planning Office. http://region.katahdincommons.com/texts/willimanticcomprehensiveplan.pdf (accessed May 3, 2012)
VanHyning, Conrad. Willimantic, Maine Past and Present. Willimantic, Me. Willimantic Conservation Commission. 1976. [University of Maine, Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections; Maine State Library; University of Maine at Farmington, Mantor Library]
National Register of Historic Places – Listings
Hathaway Barn, 135 Nortons Corner Road