|Maine House||District 144|
|Maine Senate||District 2|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 40.4|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 30.5|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[WES-tun] is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 17, 1835 from a portion of the Hampden Academy Grant township. It annexed some unincorporated land in 1855, land from Bancroft in 1907, and ceded land to Danforth in 1885.
According to the Town’s website in 2012,
Long before Weston was named [after its 1835 surveyor] as a town, the area was important in early water transportation for early Native American, European trappers and followed by early settlers. There were many waterways and directions in which to travel, but one route stands out as a major artery extending from the Bangor area to Houlton.
The first water travelers leaving Bangor and traveling up the Penobscot and Mattawamkeag rivers would make a sharp turn (to the right) and continue up the Baskahegan River… often stopping at Cleaves’ Landing. At this point the travelers would follow a ‘carry’ to Butterfield Landing whereupon they would enter the waters of the Chiputneticook Lakes, and travel northward where they would reach land, conduct a portage to the Eel River, then onto the St. John River where they could travel north to Houlton, or on to other northern destinations.
The Town [in 2012] has a convenience store, a gift shop, a fishing lodge, an active grange, and a Bible Camp. There are two churches in the community that hold regular services in the summer.
The major economic asset is the forest and forest products. However, major employers (mills and logging companies) are located outside the town.
On the long shoreline of Grand Lake at the Canadian border, Weston, just north of Danforth on U.S. Route 1, has spectacular views with its extended coves, its adjoining Bracket Lake and nearby Longfellow Lake. About one-quarter of the town is covered by water.
Town of Weston. http://www.townofweston.net/index.php (accessed May 1, 2012)
Weston, Maine Sesquicentennial Memorial: History of Weston 1835-1985. Compiled by Basil E. Kinney. Augusta, Me. J.S. McCarthy. 1984.