|Maine House||District 136|
|Maine Senate||District 7|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 33.0|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 29.7|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
Waltham was first settled in 1804 when all travel was by boat or canoe on the Union River, which flows through Graham Lake.
The lake and a portion of the river constitute the full eight-miles (as the crow flies) of the town’s western boundary.
Maine Route 179 parallels the east side of Graham Lake.
The frontage on this nine-mile lake, which also touches Ellsworth, Mariaville, and Fletchers Landing, has encouraged some developers to consider creating subdivisions near its shores.
Farming has long been a tradition in Waltham, and it continues in this sparsely populated rural community.
Remains of apple orchards and currently worked blueberry barrens dot the landscape.
According to the Gazetteer of Maine in 1886,
The pretty village flat at Hastings’s bridge has the appearance of having been a lake bottom not many centuries since.
In Cave Hill is a considerable cavern, in which three rooms have been explored. The rocks here are said to be of the same family and age as those in Orland [and Otis, both nearby in Hancock County] where caves occur. . . .
Waltham has a soil well fitted for potatoes and for apple orchards. The principal crop is hay and potatoes. . . . There is one mill for the manufacture of staves and shingles.
Waltham is about ten miles north of the City of Ellsworth on Route 179. Route 200, also known as Cave Hill Road, connects the community to Eastbrook. Cave Hill is on the north side of the road, near its intersection with JR Ralph Road. The scenes below are on Route 200.
Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. 1886. pp. 562-563.