Entries listed under "tractors"
in Penobscot County, incorporated in 1832. The township was first settled in 1824, probably by Tristam Hurd who donated the name “Hurd Ridge” to the area. Saponac Lake, in the south, is from the Indian word for “the big opening.” Lumbering and agriculture have been the main occupations, with little manufacturing. Continue reading
Dyer Brook, incorporated in 1891, so named for the stream that flows through it and into the Mattawamkeag River, is in the heart of potato country. See photos. This sparsely populated rural town has no paved roads, other than U.S. Route 2. An extensive bog occupies the middle of the township. Continue reading
a farming community, lies just south of Houlton on U.S. 1 where the South Branch of the Meduxnekeag River flows north to an eventual outlet in Canada. See photos. Most of the Lt. Gordon Manuel Wildlife Management Area, including the related dam and the Hodgdon Deadwater, lies in the southwestern portion of Hodgdon. Continue reading