Maine: An Encyclopedia
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Entries listed under "tanneries"

Hartland

Location Map for Hartland

About 19 miles northeast of Skowhegan, Hartland village lies on the Sebasticook River at the junction of Maine Routes 23, 43, 151, and 152. See photos. Built before the Civil War, the Academy Building ceased its educational function in 2001 when a new school was built.. It became the Town Hall, hosting town meetings and offices. Woolen mills and tanneries were 19th and early 20th century industries. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Howland

Location Map for Howland

Att the junction of the Piscataquis River with the Penobscot, and Seboeis Stream with the Piscataquis, it once had a thriving paper mill, The Advance Bag and Paper Company. See photos. The old mill remains empty. Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife supervises the Old Pond Farm Wildlife Management Area featuring eagles, osprey, deer, moose, and water birds. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Kingman

Location Map for Kingman

is an unorganized township in Penobscot County. In the early 1870’s the firm of Shaw and Kingman built a sole-leather tannery. See photos. Mr. Kingman commissioned a “finely Italianate residence” in 1871-1872. With the passing of the tannery, no other business, and the Depression, voters dissolved the town government in 1935. Part of the Mattawamkeag River Wildlife Management Area is here. Kingman village is at the intersection of the Mattawamkeag River, Route 170 and the Canadian Railway. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Townships | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Princeton

Boat Launch and Swimming Area at Lewy Lake (2013)

The town surrounds most of Pocomoonshine Lake, the origins of whose fascinating name is unclear. In 1886, the Gazetteer of Maine referred to it as “Shining Lake.” See photos. Along its northern boundary is a chain of lakes, including Long Lake and Lewey Lake, easily accessible from Princeton Village. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment