Entries listed under "stockton springs"
one of about seventy lightouses on the Maine coats, was established in 1836, a year after the U.S. Government purchased ten acres of land on Fort Point in Stockton Springs. Joseph Berry of Georgetown built the tower and station for … Continue reading
The town lies at the junction of U.S. Routes 1 (east to Bucksport) and 1A (north to Bangor). See photos. Fort Point is a peninsular, just north of Sears Island, that extends almost to the center of Penobscot Bay at its northerly reaches. British Governor Pownall built Fort Pownall there in 1759. Fort Point State Park marks the southern end of Fort Point Cove. Sandy Point Beach is at the northern reach of the cove. Continue reading