Entries listed under "sebasticook river"
in Somerset County, settled in 1804, incorporated in 1834 and named for Cambridge, England, the town is divided from neighboring Ripley by Main Stream, a tributary of the Sebasticook River. The village and grange hall are at the eastern end of Cambridge Pond. See photos. Continue reading
The East Branch of the Sebasticook River flows through the village on its way to Sebasticook Lake in Newport. See photos. Several mills used it water power in the 19th century. Incorporated 1828 in Somerset County as Chandlerville, the name was changed to Detroit in 1841. Continue reading
Newport features the six-mile long Sebasticook Lake, providing recreational opportunities for residents and summer visitors. Drought conditions in 2002 lowered the water level substantially. See photos. Prior to the opening of what became the Maine Central Railroad in 1855, Newport was a center of stage coach transportation. Newport is still a heavily traveled crossroads, now of Interstate 95, U.S. Route 2, and Maine Routes 7, 11, and 100. The area east of Sebasticook Lake is known as East Newport. Continue reading
The Sebasticook River passes through Douglas Pond at the south end of the town, just above Pittsfield. A golf course and campground is adjacent to White Pond, in the eastern portion of the town, where a “hand-carry” boat launch is available. The Madawaska Wildlife Management Area straddles Madawaska Brook and encompasses the Madawaska Marsh. Continue reading
Ripley Pond, once known as Rogers Pond, extends two miles north to south. Ripley Village is at the southern end. The outlet of the pond, Ripley Stream, was the site of two sawmills and a grist mill in the late 19th century. Ripley Village is at the southern end. West Ripley village is at the junction of West Ripley Road and Todds Corner Road. Continue reading