Entries listed under "Route 214"
now an unorganized township, was a town in Aroostook County. In 1886 it had a rail freight connection, now a recreational trail, with Machias. The economy was based on two shingle mills, potatoes and hay. 1870 population stood at 145; by 1880 it had plunged to 32, from which level it never recovered. The town deorganized in 2004. Continue reading
A boat launch accommodating trailers is located in Meddybemps village at the south end of the lake, which was once the site of a Native American village. Meddybemps Heath is located on near the lake in the northwest corner of the township. See photo. The Ntolonapemk, Eastern Surplus Superfund Site is located in the town. Continue reading