Maine: An Encyclopedia
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Entries listed under "Route 191"

Baring

Location Map for Baring

As was the town of Alexander, it too was named for Alexander Baring, the British envoy who, with Daniel Webster, settled Maine’s northern boundary with the Webster-Ashburton Treaty ending the “Aroostook War.” The town hosts the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge. See photos. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Cutler

Location Map for Cutler

in Washington County, incorporated 1826, is east of East Machias and boasts a large, protected harbor known as Little Machias Bay. A U.S. Navy communication base is on the Bay. Cutler Coast Public Preserved Land, in Cutler and Whiting, has almost five miles of dramatic cliff-bound ocean shore. Continue reading

Posted in Government | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Lubec

Location Map for Lubec

Lubec contains the easternmost point in the United States: West Quoddy Head, on which the famous lighthouse of the same name sits. See video and photos. A State Park is nearby. Lubec is the birthplace of Myron Avery, a key to the creation of the Appalachian Trail and a founder of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. The sardine industry important in the late 19th & early 20th centuries. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Meddybemps

Location Map for Meddybemps

A boat launch accommodating trailers is located in Meddybemps village at the south end of the lake, which was once the site of a Native American village. Meddybemps Heath is located on near the lake in the northwest corner of the township. See photo. The Ntolonapemk, Eastern Surplus Superfund Site is located in the town. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Cities & Towns | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Trescott

Location Map for Trescott

The township, in Washington County, has several coastal harbors, one at the village of South Trescott. During the clipper ship boom of the 1850’s, the vessel Sea Lark was launched in 1852. Served by Maine routes 189 and 191, it has substantial frontage on Cobscook Bay at its northern tip. Continue reading

Posted in Government, Townships | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment