Entries listed under "Route 188"
in Penobscot County, incorporated in 1832. The township was first settled in 1824, probably by Tristam Hurd who donated the name “Hurd Ridge” to the area. Saponac Lake, in the south, is from the Indian word for “the big opening.” Lumbering and agriculture have been the main occupations, with little manufacturing. Continue reading
The relatively new town office and community center is in East Lowell on Route 188 near Vinegar Hill Road. See photos. The village is at Eskutarsis Road, Tannery Road and Route 188, known as West Main Road and East Main Road. Mill Stream, the outlet from Eskutarsis Pond, once hosted a grist mill. A piece of its machinery sits on the bank. Lowell has been a high growth town, adding to its population at an average rate of 24% in each census since 1970, though not close to an urban center. Continue reading