Entries listed under "Route 170"
is an unorganized township in Penobscot County. In the early 1870’s the firm of Shaw and Kingman built a sole-leather tannery. See photos. Mr. Kingman commissioned a “finely Italianate residence” in 1871-1872. With the passing of the tannery, no other business, and the Depression, voters dissolved the town government in 1935. Part of the Mattawamkeag River Wildlife Management Area is here. Kingman village is at the intersection of the Mattawamkeag River, Route 170 and the Canadian Railway. Continue reading
This sparsely populated area is remote from even moderately sized towns. Maine Routes 169, 170, and 171 cut through the woods and bogs that characterize the area. Prentiss Village is at the junction of routes 169 and 171 in the south-central area of the township. The township’s population has been relatively stable in recent decades at around 200. Continue reading
Located on the east-west Maine Route 6 crossing eastern Penobscot and northern Washington counties, the town has a substantial area in wetlands. See photos. One account has the name commemorating “extensive fields abounding in springs.” The village is centered around the crossroads of Route 6, Park Street (Routes 169/170), and Shep Road. Continue reading
This sparsely populated plantation in Penobscot county is primarily marshlands and streams, with the exception of Tucker Ridge and Pickle Ridge where Tucker Ridge Road and Pickle Ridge Road serve the plantation’s residents. It contains a portion of the Mattawamkeag River System Wildlife Management Area and the “Webster Lot” of Maine’s Public Reserved Land. Continue reading