Entries listed under "Route 142"
in Franklin County incorporated in 1826 has a small but growing population. It has has many pleasant views of the western mountains and several historic buildings. The village of Berry Mills, on the Webb River, has a sawmill, as it did in the 1880s. See photos. Continue reading
Now a “four season” recreation center, located half way between the North Pole and the Equator, it is the gateway to Sugarloaf Mountain Ski Area in Carrabassett Valley. See video & photo. Named for Maine’s first governor, the town hosts the Stanly Museum (of Stanley Steamer fame). Continue reading
Webb Lake is the main attraction to this recreational area, with Mount Blue State Park located on both sides of the lake. The main village is located on the eastern shore of the lake, at the junction of Maine Routes 142 and 156. Weld is the gateway to Tumbledown Mountain and Little Jackson Mountain, both popular hiking destinations in Township 6 North of Weld. Continue reading