Entries listed under "Route 119"
Hebron Academy is a private school established in 1804 by Revolutionary War veteran William Barrows. Maine U.S. Representative Stanley Tupper graduated from the Academy. See photos. The growing community has more than doubled its population since 1980. It lies within easy commuting distance northwest of the Lewiston-Auburn area. Continue reading
Minot a growing community in recent decades, has become a residential commuter area for nearby Lewiston-Auburn with its location just west of Auburn. West Minot village is tucked away at the northwest edge of the community at the junction of Maine routes 119 and 124, adjacent to Hebron. The village once had an active railroad station and a grist mill. The old grange hall, community church, and railroad station keep the flavor of earlier times. Continue reading
The Paris Hill neighborhood has several architecturally interesting old homes, while South Paris has been the industrial and manufacturing center. See photos. On the Stearns Hill Road the old Hungry Hollow schoolhouse sits on a small plot. South Paris village, split by the Little Androscoggin River, is the main population center and is half of the Norway-South Paris community. Continue reading