Entries listed under "rest areas"
Also known as T2 R5 WBKP, this township is predominantly Penobscot Indian Territory, distributed as the result of the 1980 Maine Indian Claims Settlement. The North Branch of the Dead River flows through its northeast corner, beginning at Sarampus Falls. … Continue reading
in Oxford County incorporated in 1833, the village is located on the Swift River nears Coos [CO-oss] Canyon, legendary source of gold and other minerals. This sparsely populated town is served by Maine Route 17 connecting it with the Rumford-Mexico area to the south. See photos. Continue reading
Grindstone is north of East Millinocket on Route 11 in Penobscot County. Route 11, which follows the East Branch of the Penobscot River north to south, is the principal improved road. A short portion of the Madden Road in the … Continue reading
The name (the Indian term for “bog” or “wet ground”) is appropriate since the main village lies at the north end of a bog on Molunkus Stream. See photos. The township has some frontage on Molunkus Lake. A 485 acre section of Maine Public Reserved Land is here. Continue reading
The town hosts the Wyman Hydroelectric Station, with its impressive Wyman Dam and its consequence: Wyman Lake, a bulge in the Kennebec River extending about six miles to the north between Moscow and Pleasant Ridge. See photos. Bingham and Moscow constitute a single population center at the junction of U.S. Route 201 (leading north to the Province of Quebec). Continue reading