Entries listed under "motels"
one of the oldest villages in western Maine, incorporated in 1796 from Sudbury Canada Plantation. Its name signifies the “House of God,” possibly inspired by its location among the Oxford Hills. The Middle Intervale Meetinghouse was built in 1816. West Bethel village is along a canoe trip route on the Androscoggin River. See photos. Continue reading
a plantation in Franklin County, organized in 1893, is just south of Flagstaff Lake on Maine Route 16. See photo. The South Branch of the Dead River flows through on its way to the lake. Two sections of Maine’s Public Reserved Lands, in the Flagstaff Region, lie within the plantation. Continue reading
The area was also known as Nicatou, or “the forks,” since it marks the joining of the East and West branches of the Penobscot River. Medway is midway between Bangor and the northern line of Penobscot County, hence the modern name. Once home to Congressman Michael Michaud, it is a gateway to Baxter State Park. Continue reading