Entries listed under "Methodist churches"
in Aroostook County incorporated in 1859. European settlers awaited the conclusion of the northern boundary dispute with Canada before arriving in force in 1843. Home to the Nylander Museum of Natural History, Caribou’s depends significantly on the potato industry. See photos. Continue reading
in Penobscot County, incorporated 1807, was named for Dr. Elijah Dix, who bought the town (and Dixfield). His granddaughter was the social reformer, Dorothea Lynde Dix. Maine Routes 9 and U.S. Route 202 pass through Dixmont and Dixmont Center villages, with long views of the surrounding area, and locally known “Dixmont Hill,” actually Peaked Mountain, with its communications antennas. See photos. Continue reading
The town is a suburb of Bangor lying just south of that city on U.S. Route 1A. It hosts a regional U.S. Post Office processing center. Hampden Academy was established in 1803. The Grange Hall, one of the first chartered Granges in 1880. See photos. While teaching here Stephen King was spending his spare time writing short stories and novels. It is the birthplace of social reformer Dorothea Dix. Settled in 1767 it was once known as Wheelersborough after the first settler, carpenter, and mill owner. Continue reading
Milo village lies just north of the junction of the Sebec and Piscataquis Rivers. The Pleasant River flows south through the town from Brownville to join the Piscataquis. Derby, on the east side of the Sebec River, is a service area for the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad. Continue reading
The main village, Kezar Falls, shares its name with the other half of the community located across the Ossipee River in Parsonsfield, York County. Built in 1876, the two-span 152-foot covered bridge above crosses the Ossipee River. The town, which borders New Hampshire, is served by Maine Routes 160 and 25 (also known as the Ossipee Trail). Continue reading