Entries listed under "lions clubs"
is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated in 1880 from Mapleton Plantation. The early settlers, arriving in about 1836, were from New Brunswick. Potatoes have been a major part of its economy in the 19th and 20th centuries. The Aroostook War of the 1840s discouraged settlement until the 1850s. Continue reading
Whitefield is west of Gardiner on Route 126 and north of Wiscasset on Route 218. See photos. The Sheepscot River flows through the town and is a popular canoe trip opportunity. As do many Maine towns with scattered villages, Whitefield has several volunteer fire departments: Coopers Mills, Kings Mills, and North Whitefield. St. Denis Catholic Church, west of North Whitefield on Maine Route 218, is on the National Register of Historic Places.