Entries listed under "light stations"
contains about 200 islands (depending on what one counts as an “island”) and is bounded by Cape Elizabeth in the south and Cape Small in the north. Halfway Rock is about half way between the two capes which are about … Continue reading
Settled in the early 1800s, the island had a population of 19 in 1820, when fishing and some logging sustained the community. Other than for a period of pulpwood harvesting, few roads were constructed outside Lunt Harbor. See amateur film, video and photos. While many Maine islands struggle to maintain a critical mass of population, Frenchboro experienced a substantial reversal of three decades of decline when the 2010 U.S. Census confirmed sixty-one people as resident. Continue reading
Lighthouses are specialized architectural structures. As they dot the Maine coast, they are impressive as much for their settings as for their designs, of which there are many variations. Many are recognized on the National Register of Historic Places. To … Continue reading
[muh-TIN-ih-kuss] is an island plantation, organized on October 22, 1840, in Knox County in the Gulf of Maine 20 miles south of Rockland from which it is accessible by ferry. Its name, says Lawrence Bond, means “far off island,” from … Continue reading
The town lies at the mouth of the Narraguagus River where it empties into the Bay of the same name. U.S. Route 1 splits here with Route 1A. The town lies at the mouth of the Narraguagus River where it empties into the Bay of the same name. Blueberries and the Wyman Company in particular are important elements of the local economy. Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge is here. Continue reading