Entries listed under "henry knox"
An early transportation facility in Maine was the canal. The need for public support for canals was recognized in 1820 by the state’s first governor William King’s inaugural address. In 1834 the Board of Internal Improvements was authorized by the … Continue reading
The current Montpelier, built 1929-1931, is a replica of the original. After many years attempting to raise funds for construction, publisher and philanthropist Cyrus H. K. Curtis donated $250,000 to more than match the $50,000 raised by the Knox Memorial … Continue reading
Located on U.S. Route 1 and Penobscot Bay, the village of Lincolnville Beach is the Maine State Ferry Service mainland terminal for the ferry to Islesboro. See photos. Lincolnville Center is about seven miles inland from the beach. That village hosts another post office, a general store, a former fire house and adjoining schoolhouse, an old meetinghouse, and the Lincolnville Telephone Company. Continue reading