Entries listed under "grindstones"
In 1775 the area had been the scene of Benedict Arnold’s march to Quebec. He was accompanied by Col. Timothy Bigelow, who returned to the area and for whom Bigelow Mountain is named. Eustis village in the north of the township, is on the North Branch of the Dead River and is the smaller of the two villages, the other being Stratton. Continue reading
With forty-one residents in 1800, Mercer exploded to a population of 1,432 (its peak) by 1840. Soon thereafter, Maine’s first starch factory was established. The library and the Grange are two surviving organizations formed in the late 19th century as the population continued to decline. See photos. The town lies on U.S. Route 2 just west of Norridgewock with frontage on North Pond at its southeast corner. Continue reading
home for Pineland Center from 1908 to 1996, that facility for the mentally retarded was known as the “Maine School for the Feeble-Minded” and later as the Pownal State School. See photos. It has been redeveloped as an office park. The multiple-use campus hosts professional, educational, and civic organizations, along with a conference facility. Pineland Farms and its Equestrian Center are major facilities nearby. Continue reading