Entries listed under "bicycles"
one of the oldest villages in western Maine, incorporated in 1796 from Sudbury Canada Plantation. Its name signifies the “House of God,” possibly inspired by its location among the Oxford Hills. The Middle Intervale Meetinghouse was built in 1816. West Bethel village is along a canoe trip route on the Androscoggin River. See photos. Continue reading
in Aroostook County, organized as a plantation 1878 and incorporated 1901. Its Thousand Acre Bog is considered one of Maine’s “Focus Areas of Statewide Ecological Significance.” See map. A pedestrian trail from Patten to Sherman winds through the bog. Continue reading
A scenic location for mountain bicyclists 84 miles north of Skowhegan, it is adjacent to Jackman. See photos. Two ponds with boat launches are several miles west of U.S. Route 201 in its interior. The sparsely populated plantation’s organization was confirmed formally in 1895. Continue reading