Entries listed under "athletic fields"
includes Damariscove Island, an early fishing outpost, providing critical food (fish) to the starving Pilgrims. Harvesting the sea is still a significant occupation. Now the Boothbay region is a center of summer tourist activity, with the Boothbay Playhouse and the Railroad Museum. See photos and video. Continue reading
Garland’s 1891 Grange Hall, built in 1891 is one of the oldest surviving 19th century structures of its type, having both Greek Revival and Italianate elements, and simplicity. The Kenduskeag Stream flows from Garland Pond to the Penobscot River at Bangor. Lyndon Oak was a prominent community member. The town was incorporated in 1811. Continue reading
The town is becoming a major suburb of the Bangor area with population expanding nearly four-fold in the 40 years 1970-2010, and growing 16 percent 2000-2010. Glenburn’s school contains the public library. See photos. In Penobscot County, it was incorporated in 1822 under the name of Dutton, changed to Glenburn in 1837. Dutton held a major interest in the original township, became a Judge of Probate and a founder of Bangor Theological Seminary. Continue reading
Little Pushaw Pond is in the northwest portion of the town. Pushaw Stream flow from it to Pushaw Lake in the southeast. See photos. Hudson is a growing community in a rural setting with easy access to Bangor and to the University of Maine in Orono. Continue reading
just east of Lewiston, the south end of Sabattus Pond is part of the urban center. The name is that of a Native American chief of the Anasagunticook tribe. Located just east of Lewiston, most of the town’s population appears on a map as an extension of that City, so closely are they located. That portion of the town at the south end of Sabattus Pond is part of the urban center. Continue reading
Long a potato growing and processing area, it lies northwest of Presque Isle on Route 164, which curves through the town and links it with Caribou to the northeast. See photos. Washburn’s main village is in the southwest near the Aroostook River, which crosses its southern portion. The villages of Bugbee, Crouseville, and Adeline are along the river on Route 164. Continue reading