According to Isaacson, “He explained that he was a sachem and had learned the language from Englishmen engaged in fishing off Monhegan, and named many boat captains. He was apparently accustomed to English fare, eating without comment the food offered. On his next visit he brought Squando. The advice of the Indians enabled the Pilgrims to replenish their dwindling stores, a friendly act that was later repaid with treachery. Samoset was entertained, with other Indian leaders, in 1624 in Portland Harbor by Captain Christopher Leavitt.”
On July 15, 1625, Samoset granted a deed, believed to be the first from an Indian to the colonists, to John Brown for 12,000 acres of land in the Damariscotta area.
Isaacson, Dorris A. Maine: A Guide Downeast, p. 329.
Matthews, Albert. The Indian Sagamore Samoset. Cambridge Ma. John Wilson and Son, 1901. Cambridge. University Press. [University of Maine, Raymond H. Fogler Library, Special Collections; Maine State Library]