|Maine House||District 117|
|Maine Senate||District 18|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 54.2|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 48.4|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[muh-GAL-ah-way] is a plantation in Oxford County, organized for election purposes in 1860 but formally organized for general purposes on March 5, 1883 with legislative confirmation passed in 1991.
Named for the Malecite Indian word for “caribou,” the plantation was created from the township T5 R1 WBKP.
Located on the New Hampshire border, it has substantial frontage on Umbagog Lake and about ten miles of frontage on Upper and Lower Lower Richardson Lakes. Magalloway Plantation Maine Public Reserved Land sits just north of the Lake Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge on that lake’s Sunday Cove.
The plantation is accessible from Maine Route 16 in Lincoln Plantation. However, Magalloway has no improved roads. Many internal roads are private with gates and barricades limiting access to the interior.
Form of Government: Assessors-Annual Meeting.