|Maine House||District 9|
|Maine Senate||District 34|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 22.0|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 22.0|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[LUD-low] is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 21, 1864 from Belfast Academy Grant Plantation, itself organized in 1840.
General John Cummings, agent for the trustees of Belfast Academy and probably the first white settler, arrived on October 8, 1826.
In the 1880′s Ludlow had two sawmills in operation. Its primary economic activity was in farming: mostly oats, wheat, and potatoes.
The town office is located in an old schoolhouse, which also has house the Head Start program.
This “half-township” (New Limerick occupies the other half of the original township) lies just west of the northern portion of Houlton.
Ludlow is an agricultural community in the heart of southern Aroostook potato county. The soybean field above is an example of the continuous, historic attempts to diversify the county’s farm economy.