one of about seventy lightouses on the Maine coats, was established in 1836, a year after the U.S. Government purchased ten acres of land on Fort Point in Stockton Springs. Joseph Berry of Georgetown built the tower and station for $2,500.
This structure was a cone-shaped tower build from granite blocks. The octagon shaped lantern room contained a lamp fueled by whale oil, stored in the tower. In 1897 an oil house was built to store kerosene, which replaced the whale oil since it was cheaper and produced a brighter light.
The light was electrified in 1952 with a 250 watt bulb illuminating a Fresnel lens that can be seen ten miles down Penobscot Bay.
Adjoining the lighthouse, Fort Point State Park features the ruins of Fort Pownall.