|Maine House||District 141|
|Maine Senate||District 2|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 65.3|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 58.1|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[LAAK vil] is a town in Penobscot County, settled in 1855 and formally organized on February 29, 1868 from township T4 R1 NBPP. It had previously been organized for election purposes in 1848 and 1859.
Located just northwest of the “grand lake” area of Washington County, it has frontage on Upper Sysladobsis, Sysladobsis, and Junior Lakes, among others. Nearly eleven percent of Lakeview’s area is accounted for by its many lakes.
In apparent reference to another lake near the St. Croix River, Fanny Hardy Eckstorm concludes that Sysladobsis (the DeLorme map spelling) or Sisladobsis comes from the Maliseet sekled-obsc-us for “shark-shaped rock.” The lake described has a great rock “which stands up like a shark’s fin.” (p. 234)
The southwestern portion of the plantation contains a tract of Penobscot Indian Territory, which includes all of the southern shore of Upper Sysladobsis Lake.
The once very small community has been growing consistently from 1970 through 2010. It has almost regained its 1870 population of 108, and may soon approach its 1880 population of 136.