|Maine House||District 145|
|Maine Senate||District 2|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 40.0|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 39.8|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[HER-see] is a town in Aroostook County, first settled in 1839 and incorporated on January 25, 1873 from Dayton Plantation, once the township of T5 R5 WELS.
Hervey Village is in the extreme west of the township on Route 11. Townline Road is its northern boundary, separating it from Moro Plantation. The interior of the township is accessible on the Retreat Road, which extends from Route 159 in Crystal in the south to Route 11 in Hersey’s northwest corner.
The 137-acre Crystal Lake is the only one in the town. Crystal Brook enters and exits the lake. A sawmill operated on the outlet brook in the nineteenth century. Fishing is primarily for pickerel and the occasional brook trout accessed over a one mile “jeep trail.”
General Samuel Hersey was a proprietor of the township in 1873 and later ran unsuccessfully for governor on the Prohibition ticket in 1894.
Maine Route 11, once known as the Aroostook Road, cuts through the northwest corner of the town about 5 miles north of Patten village.
Chadbourne, Ava Harriet. Maine Place Names and The Peopling of its Towns.
Maine. Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. “Crystal Lake.” http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/aroostook/crystal_lake.pdf (accessed March 15, 2014)