Maine: An Encyclopedia


Location Map for Hartford

Location Map for Hartford

Year Population
1970 312
1980 480
1990 722
2000 963
2010 1,185
Hartford Population Chart 1810-2010

Population Trend 1810-2010

Geographic Data
N. Latitude 44:22:24
W. Latitude 70:19:57
Maine House District 116
Maine Senate District 18
Congress District 2
Area sq. mi. (total) 45.1
Area sq. mi. (land) 43.9
Population/sq.mi. (land) 27.0
County: Oxford

Total=land+water; Land=land only
East Branch of the Nezinscot River near the Sumner-Hartford Line on the Butterfield/Sumner Road (Route 140)

Nezinscot River East Branch near Sumner-Hartford Line on Butterfield/Sumner Road (Route 140) @

Pine Shores Subdivision off Church Street (2013) @

Sign: "Camp Wekeela for Boys and Girls" on Route 219 (2013)

“Camp Wekeela for Boys and Girls” on Route 219 (2013) @

[HART-frd] is a town in Oxford County, incorporated on June 13, 1798 from East Butterfield Plantation.

After annexing land from Plantation Number 1 (1807) and Chandler’s Gore (1834), its substantial size was diminished by land transfers to Canton (1838, 1839, 1850) and to Buckfield (1856, 1862).

House on the Berry Road overlooking Bear Pond (2013)

On Berry Road overlooking Bear Pond (2013) @

Cottages and Boat Launch on Bear Pond from Berry Road (2013)

Cottages, Boat Launch on Bear Pond, Berry Rd. (2013) @

Bear Pond in the south, near Route 219, is the site of seasonal camps and boating for residents and summer visitors.  Part of the Pond is in nearby Turner.

The town’s name is after Hartford, Connecticut, which itself is named for Hartford, England.

J&O Irish Museum (2013)

J&O Irish Museum (2013) @

The area was first settled by Edmund Irish in 1788, ten years before it was incorporated as a town.

In the 1880’s the town supported fourteen schoolhouses with a population of 863 in 1880.

Hartford’s historical society is located in the historic J. & O. Irish Store on Main Street.

Farmhouse and Barn on Church Street (2013)

Farmhouse and Barn on Church Street (2013) @

Orchard on Church Street (2013)

Orchard on Church Street (2013) @

Church Street, an extension of Staples Hill Road in Canton, is a rural road with farms, the old school and community church, with access to the southern shore of Lake Anasagunticook.

The small Nezinscot River (east branch) flows through the town, defining its border with Sumner, eventually entering Buckfield. From Buckfield to Turner, the river is a corridor for canoe trips, with a portage at Turner Village.

Lake Anasagunticook on Main Street (Route 140) in northern Hartford is surrounded by seasonal and year-round houses.

A private subdivision, Pine Shores, is on the southern end. The bulk of the lake is in the town of Canton, north of Hartford.

Shore of Lake Anasagunticook in Hartford (2013)

Shore of Lake Anasagunticook in Hartford (2013) @

Shore of Lake Anasagunticook in Hartford (2013)

Shore of Lake Anasagunticook in Hartford (2013) @

This small but growing community, having tripled its population from 1970 to 2000, then added another 23% by 2010.

Hartford is northwest of Lewiston-Auburn via Maine Routes 4 and 219. Routes 219 and 140 intersect at Hartford Center.

1899 Union School House on Church Street (2013)

1899 Union School House on Church Street (2013)

Hartford Community Church on Church Street (2013)

Hartford Community Church, Church Street (2013)

Rock hunters have been attracted to its rich deposits of quartz and feldspar.

The town office, and the adjoining community building, are on Main Street (Route 140) at Tucker Road.

Hartford Town Office on Main Street (Route 140) at Tucker Road

Hartford Town Office (2013) @

Community Building and Veterans Memorial on Main Street (Route 140) in Hartford at Tucker Road

Community Building, Veterans Memorial (’13) @

Form of Government: Town Meeting-Select Board.

Additional resources

Libby, Wilbur A. Hartford, Maine. Maine. W.A. Libby. 1985. [Maine State Library]

*Maine. Historic Preservation Commission. Augusta, Me.   Text and photos from National Register of Historic Places: and

Irish, J. & O., Store: 83003666.PDF
Warren, David, House: 83000467

McCauley, Brian. The Names of Maine: How Maine Places Got Their Names and What They Mean.

Parsons, Harold E., Mrs. A Brief History of the Town of Hartford, Maine. Hartford, Me. Town of Hartford. 1974. [Maine State Library]

Parsons, Lorraine. Town of Hartford 2000: Military Service. Hartford, Me. L. Parsons. 2000.

National Register of Historic Places – Listings

Irish, J. & O., Store

[Maine Route 140] Now a museum, the J. & O. Irish Store has been virtually untouched by time since it was built in 1888 by Orlando Irish, a prosperous farmer who decided to go into commerce. The interior, totally unchanged, is a time capsule revealing the ambiance of a late 19th century general store and post office with furnished rooms on the upper floors where the Irish families lived.

In 1976 the building was given by a descendent of the original owners, James Irish, to the Hartford Heritage Society, which maintains and has improved the structure. In the barn are the collections of the Society, a variety of artifacts owned by Hartford residents.

J. & O. Irish Museum (2013)

J. & O. Irish Museum (2013)

J. & O. Irish Store is a large rectangular structure with an attached barn. Both buildings are 2½ stories high with a gable roof and clapboard siding. The interiors are as unaltered as the exteriors. In the store itself there are simple wood counters and shelves, as well as a wood icebox and a desk for sorting mail. Both the store and the living quarters have original wood floors and door and window trim. None of the woodwork, however, is ornamented. To enter the Irish Store is to step back in time more than a century.*

Warren, David, House

Warren Homestead (1982)

Warren Homestead (1982)

[off Maine Route 140] The David Warren Homestead is a 2½ story pitched-roofed Federal farmhouse with side ell and attached small barn. Christened Apple Hill Farm by the recent owners, the house and outbuildings sit on 113 acres. The house is the largest and most imposing in the community.

The Warren House is the only large Federal residence in the Hartford area, being unique in size and interior design. The state of preservation and restoration of the interior rivals, for authenticity, the interiors of many Maine historic buildings.

David Warren (1760-1847), a Revolutionary War soldier, was an early settler of Buckfield and had the house built shortly before 1805. Warren served eleven terms as a representative to the General Court in Boston.He was Hartford’s Justice of the Peace. The house remained in the Warren family until 1914.* [Frank A. Beard photo]

This entry was posted in Government, Cities & Towns and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
This entry was last modified: August 29, 2017 08:41 PM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *