It was completed in 1858 for John Goddard (1811-1870) to an Italianate design by Portland architect Charles Alexander. Goddard, a successful lumberman, had purchased the Cape Cottage Hotel in 1853 with the intention of placing his dream home on it adjacent land.
Built from Maine stone, it was one of the first “grand” homes along the Cape Elizabeth shore. Its placement allowed a spectacular view of Casco Bay along with the charm of Portland Head Light a few hundred yards away.
The Victoria Mansion in Portland is another, better known, example of Voctorian era Italianate architecture.
The mansion was acquired by the Army in 1898 to house its married enlisted men and their families stationed at nearby Fort Williams. An enlisted men’s officer’s club was created in its basement.