Maine: An Encyclopedia
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Dead River TWP

Myron Avery Memorial

Myron Avery Memorial

Flagstaff Lake and Blanchard Mountain

Flagstaff Lake and Blanchard Mountain

Flagstaff Lake Southeast Finger

Flagstaff Lake Southeast Finger

West Peak on Bigelow Mountain

West Peak on Bigelow Mountain

The township is immediately west of Carrying Place Town Township, host to the next northerly section of the AT. Little Bigelow Mountain, Myron H. Avery Peak, and West Peak challenge Appalachian Trail hikers. Bigelow Public Reserve Land, through which the Trail passes, is located in Dead River Township, Wyman Township, and Bigelow Township, in Franklin and Somerset counties.

Dead River TWP has approximately ten miles of shore frontage on Flagstaff Lake, the historic route of the Dead River itself.

Avery Peak from West Peak

Avery Peak from West Peak

The Horns from West Peak

The Horns from West Peak

Flagstaff Lake and Avery Peak

Flagstaff Lake and Avery Peak

The eastern end of the lake dominates the center of the township. Dead River flows into the lake at its western end in Bigelow Township, then exits at its northeast extent, ultimately joining the Kennebec River at The Forks.

Little Bigelow Mountain

Little Bigelow Mountain

Stratton Brook and Pond

Stratton Brook and Pond

Flagstaff Lake

Flagstaff Lake

All of the trail hiking is done along the Bigelow Range averaging more than 2,000 feet in elevation. Scenic views never seem to end, since most of the trip is above the tree line.

In October 1775, Benedict Arnold’s expedition to Quebec slogged its way through the township as it sought to find the path of the then swollen Dead River.

Col. Timothy Bigelow was in the expedition when it passed through Eustis.  He later returned to the area and is reputed to be the first white man to summit the mountain that now bears his name.

Dead River Population Chart 1830-1940

Population Trend 1830-1940

Population counts were reported by the U.S. Census for the “Dead River Settlement” beginning in 1830 and ending in 1940. According to George Varney,

A bridge of wood and iron, 300 feet in length, spans the river here. . . .  Hurricane Falls on Dead River, near the northeastern part, present an attractive view and afford a good water-power. . . .  The Methodists of the plantation hold meetings and employ a minister. There are two public schoolhouses .  .  .  .

The area was identified as “Dead River Plantation” on USGS topographic maps of 1928 and 1944.  The 1956 map identifies it as “Dead River (T3 R3 BKP WKR), ” its current designation.  The Settlement, and the adjoining town of Flagstaff,  was obliterated in 1949 by the new Flagstaff Lake created by the Long Falls Dam.

More Videos!

facebook

Additional resources

Topographic maps:  University of New Hampshire Dimond Library, Documents Department & Data Center, Historic USGS Maps of New England & New York, from http://docs.unh.edu/towns/DeadRiverPlantationMaineMapList.htm (accessed 11/23/2014)

Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. 1886. pp. 192-193.

Dead River Settlement 1928

Dead River Settlement 1928

Dead River Township 1956

Dead River Township 1956

Brady Williams photos, August 2003 and September 2007.

AT South Boot Icon<= South      Appalachian Trail – click a boot      North AT North Boot Icon=>

This entry was posted in Government, Recreation, Townships and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *