|Maine House||District 3|
|Maine Senate||District 35|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 39.5|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 39.4|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[CON-er] is an unorganized township in Aroostook County, organized as a plantation in 1877 from Letter K township, otherwise known as Letter K R2 or T15 R2. It then annexed land from Caribou in 1881, and was organized “for assessment of taxes” several times: 1883, 1892, and 1896.
On July 12, 1913 Connor was incorporated as a town. But the pressures of the Great Depression and World War II resulted in the surrender of its status as a town on March 30, 1945. (Connor’s population had peaked at 729 in 1940 and dropped to 630 in 1950.) Since then it has been governed by the state as a township.
abuts the northeastern edge of the ‘Northern Maine Forest’, an expanse of land encompassing millions of acres of forestland in northern Maine. . . . [It] offers exceptional canoeing and kayaking opportunities along the Little Madawaska River in Connor, Maine. The river provides visitors with 3.5 miles of undisturbed solitude.