|Maine House||District 141|
|Maine Senate||District 5|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 44.3|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 44.3|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[CHES-ter] is a town in Penobscot County, settled in 1823 by Frank Stratton from Albion, incorporated on February 26, 1834 from T1 R8 WPR township.
The post-statehood boom affected this town as many others, and the population grew accordingly with farms and mills occupying the landscape.
The name was provided by Samuel Chesley, recently of Chester, New Hampshire, indirectly for the English town of the same name. During the Civil War, the small town sent 32 men to join the Union effort; 11 were lost.
Across the Penobscot River from the mill town of Lincoln, Chester’s small population grew by almost 19 percent in the decade ending in 2000, and maintained its growth through 2010. In 1870 its population 350 – more than in 1970.
Booker, Mabel Libby. History and Genealogy of Chester, Maine. M.L. Booker, 1949?
Chadbourne, Ava Harriet. Maine Place Names and The Peopling of its Towns.
Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. 1886. p. 178.