is the name for Township T2 R6 WBKP, which contains the Chain Lakes, a waterway that provided Benedict Arnold’s expedition with the final passage to Canada on October 25th and 26th in 1775. The North Branch of the Dead River flows south from the lakes and provided the expedition with a path to them.
Above the lakes, it followed a series of bogs and small ponds through what is now Coburn Gore to the Canadian border. On October 26th the force ended its ordeal in Maine and arrived at the Chaudiere River in Canada. The next day they reached Lake Megantic and were on their way to Quebec. Now Route 27 in Maine follows near the path of 1775 and is also know as The Arnold Trail.
In 2017 the small Natanis Point campground operated on Natanis Point Road east of Route 27. Round Pond, the most northerly of the Chain of Ponds, is just northwest of Natanis Point Road. The beach is on the northwest shore of Natanis Lake, southeast of the Road. The Chain is protected as part of Maine’s Public Reserved Lands program.
End of Arnold’s Expedition Route by water. They continued overland in Coburn Gore. Click the Bateau to go Back