Maine: An Encyclopedia
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Forts

Fort Baldwin

Fort Baldwin (2001)

is located on Sabino Hill in Phippsburg. Constructed between 1905 and 1912, three batteries are hidden in the woods overlooking the mouth of the Kennebec River and old Fort Popham. During World War I, it housed two artillery companies guarding … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Fairfield

Location Map for Fort Fairfield

Fort Fairfield, established during the Aroostook War, took its name from Governor John Fairfield. The original fort (1839-1843), a duplicate of Fort Kent, was dismantled in 1862. A replica was built in 1976. The 1875 Canadian-Pacific Railroad station is part of the Railroad Museum at the old Bangor & Aroostook rail yard. The town, in the heart of potato country, hosts the Potato Blossom Festival in July. Continue reading

Posted in History, Government, Cities & Towns, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Fort Gorges

Fort Gorges in Casco Bay (2014)

The structure was begun in 1858, a year after Congress authorized funds, on Hog Island in Portland Harbor. By the end of the Civil War it was outdated with the invention of the rifle cannon that could destroy its granite … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Fort Kent

Location Map for Fort Kent

A fort, named for Governor Edward Kent, was constructed between 1838 and 1840 to assert Maine’s authority and protect settlers during the bloodless Aroostook War. Populated largely by descendents of Acadians fleeing British persecution, French is frequently the language of choice. Continue reading

Posted in History, Government, Cities & Towns, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Knox

Fort Knox from Bucksport, c. 1940

named for General Henry Knox, is located in the town of Prospect on the banks of the Penobscot River across from Bucksport. The British controlled this area of the Maine coast during the War of 1812 and during the tensions … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Popham

stands on Hunnewell Point in Phippsburg at the mouth of the Kennebec River. This semi-circular structure was begun in 1862 but never completed. It was then that the Union realized how vulnerable the area was to potential British incursions in … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Pownall

Penobscot Bay at the mouth of the Penobscot River near Fort Pownall (2001)

stood on Fort Point in Stockton Springs on the Penobscot River. In 1626 the English set up a trading post at the mouth of the Penobscot River. The French and Indians attacked with great ferocity. In ten years it was … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Western

Fort Western complex with the Main House (2001)

In 1625, the Plymouth Colony Pilgrims sailed to the Kennebec River in hopes of establishing a trading relationship with area Indians. By 1628 the Pilgrims were operating a year-round trading post just south of where Fort Western now stands. The … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort William Henry

Fort William Henry (2001)

is located in the town of Bristol, Lincoln County, in the Pemaquid area. Built in 1692, it was destroyed in 1696 by the French under the leadership of Baron de Castin. The tower, and parade grounds are replicas built in … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Fort Williams

Sign: Brief History of Fort Williams (2001)

is located in Cape Elizabeth and its grounds constitute Fort Williams City Park. In 1873 construction had begun on earthworks fortifications and was known as the Battery at Portland Head. By 1892, concrete batteries had been placed over the original … Continue reading

Posted in History, Forts | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment